- The Great Toronto Tree Hunt
- LEAF Learning Garden
- Let It Bee
- Maple Leaf Forever Tree
- Urban Forest Demonstration Gardens
- Urban Wood Utilization
- Young Urban Forest Leaders Program
- Youth EAB Ambassador Program
- Past Projects
Our Do-It-Yourself Tree Planting Program offered in the City of Toronto is a great option for those looking to plant trees and shrubs in their front or side yards, or for those who simply want to get their hands dirty and plant their own trees and shrubs! Through the completion of a video workshop, an online application, and a virtual consultation, LEAF will help you select the right trees and shrubs for your yard so you can plant them strategically for beautification and to conserve energy.
For $100 to $170 you receive:
- online educational videos
- 30 minute virtual consultation with a LEAF arborist to help you select the right species for the right location
- 5-8 foot tall native deciduous tree OR 2-4 foot tall native evergreen tree (Please note that not all of the tree species we offer through the Full Service Program are available through the Do-It-Yourself Program)
- delivery (property owner plants)
- mulch and planting/care guide
- Native shrubs are also available for $30 each and eastern white cedars are available for $50 each. If a tree is not purchased, a minimum of four shrubs/cedars must be ordered for free delivery, otherwise a $25 delivery fee applies.
Note: all prices are per item and do not include applicable taxes.
LEAF Spacing Requirements
Trees and shrubs require growing space below and above ground. Buildings, decks and paving can interfere with a tree or shrub's ability to absorb nutrients and water. We will help you select appropriate species for your yard based on your available space, rather than trying to fit in trees or shrubs that do not suit your yard. The planting site you have in mind must meet the following minimum space requirements:
|Site Conditions||Shrubs||Small Trees||Med - Large Trees|
|Area of soft surface required||5' x 5'||10’ x 10’||15' x 15' |
|Distance from fence/property line||3'||5'||5'|
|Distance from hard surfaces (deck/paving)||3'||5'||7'|
|Distance from buildings with foundations||3'||10'||10'|
|Distance from stumps or existing ash trees||8'||8'||8'|
|Distance from existing trees||8'||15'||20'|
|Overhead wires||not an issue||avoid||avoid|
|Raised beds or container planting||not recommended||never||never|
Note: the distances listed above are minimum requirements- more space may be required for larger species.
How it Works:
1. Prepare for your virtual consultation
If your yard meets our minimum space requirements, you can complete our online video workshop, quiz and application form. Once we receive your application, we will contact you to book a virtual consultation with one of our arborists. You will need to be available for a 30 minute window with access to a phone and computer with internet. A limited number of evening and weekend appointments are available.
2. During your virtual consultation
A LEAF arborist will call you at your scheduled time using the phone number you provide us in your application. Instructions on how to log on to the easy to use screen sharing website will be emailed to you prior to your consultation. During the consult, your arborist will:
- go over your soil type, sunlight conditions, space available and any other yard features that may affect your new trees and shrubs
- assist you in selecting appropriate species and locations for your yard
- talk to you about proper care and maintenance
- request full payment by VISA or Mastercard
- complete a siting form of your yard which will also act as your receipt
Your arborist will take payment in full for your order at the end of the virtual consultation. LEAF accepts payment by Visa or Mastercard.
If for any reason you decide not to purchase trees at the time of the consultation, there is a non-refundable $50 + HST charge for the consultation ($56.60). Your consultation will be valid for the current planting season, so if you make the decision to purchase trees following your consultation, the $56.60 you have paid will be deducted from the cost of your first tree, provided no species changes have been made.
If you decide to order only shrubs, cedars, pawpaws or a garden kit at the end of your consultation, you must pay the $50 + HST consultation fee PLUS the cost of your shrubs(s), cedar(s), pawpaws and/or kit(s). The cost of the consultation is only included when you order a tree.
During the spring season, deliveries will take place from April through June and in the fall, deliveries will take place between September and November. We will contact you at least two days in advance to let you know the date we will deliver and you do not need to be home as long as we can access your backyard.
If you have any further questions about the process, don't hesitate to contact us for more information.