Become a Young Urban Forest Leader!
Applications for the 2018 program are now open. Please submit this applicaiton by Sunday April 1st, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
The goal of the program is to provide hands-on experience in the field of urban forestry and community engagement. Successful applicants will receive formal training and mentorship to develop the skills needed to lead a community tree tour and tree mulching event, and will help to establish Adopt-A-Park-Tree projects in select Toronto parks.
- Completing LEAF’s Tree Tenders Volunteer Tree Training Program – 15 hours of arboriculture training led by local professionals. The session is held in early May. Exact dates and times will be posted shortly.
- Attending skill-building workshops and mentored activities focusing on arboriculture and community engagement. Meetings occur weekly starting in May though September on Thursday evenings from 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
- In teams, planning and launching an Adopt-A-Park-Tree program, tree tour and mulching event in a Toronto park working with local stakeholders such as Friends of park groups
- Participating in peer-feedback and career-planning sessions
Benefit to Participants:
- Hands-on skills in arboriculture, urban forestry and community engagement to prepare for employment and/or post-secondary education
- Skills developed include: tree biology, identification, planting, mulching, understanding Toronto's tree bylaws and threats to the urban forest, leadership and team work, public speaking, event coordination, community outreach and marketing
- Career path research and exposure to industry professional
- Program graduates receive a certificate and reference letter
- Participants contribute to community-building and increased public appreciation of the urban forest
- Transit subsidies and snacks provided at workshops
- Up to four participants can receive childcare subsidies to cover costs while attending workshops