Become a Young Urban Forest Leader!
This innovative program is supporting the next wave of environmental leaders in their growth! The goal of the program is to provide valuable experience in the fields of arboriculture, urban forestry and community engagement.
Key Activities Include:
- Completing the LEAF Tree Tenders Volunteer Tree Training Program - 15 hours of online arboriculture training led by local professionals
- Participating in online skill-building workshops and mentored-activities - meetings take place weekly on Tuesday evenings from May through August
- Working to improve the tree canopy in communities. This includes assessing the existing canopy, identifying opportunities for tree planting and stewardship and engaging local residents, all with guidance and support from LEAF. Activities/events include:
- Online outreach
- In-person tree tour events
- Participating in peer-feedback, career-planning sessions and professional development and networking events
The Benefit to Participants:
- Gain hard and soft skills in arboriculture, urban forestry and community engagement to prepare for employment and/or post-secondary education
- Skills include tree biology, identification, planting, mulching, understanding Toronto's tree bylaws and threats to the urban forest, leadership and teamwork, public speaking, visual communication and virtual outreach
- Meet industry professionals and explore various career paths
- Receive a certificate of completion
- Contribute to increased appreciation of the urban forest
- Build meaningful connections with other passionate young people