Free native shrubs for planting in the City of Toronto
We are excited that you want to plant native! LEAF has beautiful native shrubs available for our Toronto-based community!
These shrubs are offered through our Young Urban Forest Leaders Program, funded in part by the City of Toronto's Urban Forestry Grant. If you live in the City of Toronto and have a space to plant on private property, you may request up to six shrubs (in total). If you are interested in more than six, please email erin[at]yourleaf.org.
Please review the species information below to ensure you can plant the right species in the right place. It's important to consider the soil and light requirements for each species to ensure the maximum health and success of your new shrubs. It is also important to understand the mature size of each species to minimize the risk of future conflicts with buildings, other trees, etc.
- Shrubs are offered on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last
- Delivery will take place in mid to late September (a great time to plant!). You will be notified prior to the delivery date
- Please note that we are not able to offer a warranty
- You must watch these short training videos before submitting your request:
- LEAF will provide a supplemental planting and care resource upon delivery
- You must commit to planting the trees/shrubs within one week of receiving them (and water them daily until planted)
Click on each species for more details, including size at maturity, ideal soil and sunlight conditions, etc.