LEAF is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the urban forest. Our planting and education programs have been connecting residents to the urban forest for over two decades.
Overview of Position
The Stewardship Coordinator will work as a key member of LEAF’s community programs team. The focus of this team is to deliver engaging programs and events that inspire community members to care for the urban forest, providing hands-on opportunities for people to learn and connect. Evening and weekend work is required. This position reports to the Community Programs Manager. The list below outlines the major responsibilities related to the position; however, additional tasks may be assigned as needed.
Oversee the recruitment, training, coordination and recognition of volunteers. This includes:
Hosting volunteer orientations
Planning and hosting volunteer appreciation events
Program Coordination – 50%
- Plan and deliver programs and events that engage volunteers and the general public in urban forest stewardship. Programs include:
- Urban Forest Demonstration Gardens
- Young Urban Forest Leaders
- Outreach Team
- Naturalization Planting Events
Educational Workshops/Presentations – 5%
- Deliver educational workshops and presentations on various topics related to urban forests.
Administration and Reporting – 20%
- General program administration, including
- data entry
- metrics tracking
- capturing and assembling content for reports, website, social media, newsletters, etc.
Other (if/as needed)
- Planting trees with LEAF’s Backyard Tree Planting Program
- Staying up to date on current urban forest and arboriculture best practices
- Passionate about environmental work and community engagement
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Customer service experience
- Skills and experience in arboriculture and/or urban forestry, including knowledge of native trees and shrubs species
- Skills and experience with native gardening, including knowledge of native perennial species
- Experience with event planning, program coordination, and public outreach/education
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to determine priorities, adhere to deadlines, multi-task and work independently
- Leadership skills and the ability to work collaborate as part of a team
- Attention to detail and superior organization skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access)
- Experiences with Adobe Suite an asset (focus on InDesign)
- Must be able to handle physical demands of heavy lifting and outdoor work in inclement weather
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends when needed
- Full “G” driver’s license and clean driving record required
- Emergency First Aid + CPR and AED Certification an asset
This is a full time (35-40 hours per week) position. This is a one year contract with opportunity for renewal. Expected start date will be early February 2019.
- Your cover letter and resume should not exceed 4 pages.
- Submit as one PDF, no later than January 24th at 11:59 PM.
- Send by email to Erin MacDonald, Community Programs Manager, erin[at]yourleaf.org.
- Include “Stewardship Coordinator” in the subject line.
LEAF is an equal opportunity employer. We value employment equity and will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities.
No phone calls or in-person visits, please. We appreciate all applications, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.