LEAF is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the urban forest. Our community-based programs engage residents as active urban forest stewards. We are currently seeking a Stewardship Assistant for a part-time, seasonal employment position.
The ideal candidate will possess exceptional communication skills and have a passion for urban forestry and community engagement. They will be able to work well both independently and as part of a dynamic team. This year, due to COVID-19, most of our educational programs have moved online. The position will offer an excellent opportunity to gain skills and experience working with a non-profit organization that engages the public in creative ways, including through online learning and engagement platforms!
The Stewardship Assistant will enjoy an experiential learning environment and will work as part of the Community Programs team. Responsibilities include:
- conducting tree stewardship activities (mainly watering) at a number of sites across the city
- supporting the team with online event planning and delivery, including educational workshops on urban forestry and arboriculture
- assisting with volunteer engagement and support
- conducting garden stewardship and maintenance at our Urban Forest Demonstration Gardens
- helping with data collection and entry, as well as metrics tracking
- highlighting and sharing programs through social media and blogs
- providing general administrative support as needed
The successful applicant will demonstrate the following skills/experience:
- Passion about environmental education and community engagement
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Customer service experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and superior organization skills
- Ability to determine priorities, adhere to deadlines, multi-task and work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access)
- Emergency First Aid + CPR Certification an asset
- Skills and experience in arboriculture and/or urban forestry, including knowledge of native tree and shrub species an asset
- Skills and experience with native gardening, including knowledge of native perennial species an asset
- Experience working or volunteering with a not-for-profit organization an asset
All candidates must be:
- Able to work remotely (must have reliable access to a computer and internet connection)
- Fully licensed to drive (G license) with a clean driving record
- 21 or older (in order to be able to drive rental vehicles)
- Comfortable driving a cargo van in the city
- Able to handle the physical demands of outdoor work in all weather conditions
- Available to work some evenings and weekends when needed
This position is supported by a grant from Service Canada. In addition, all candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be no more than 30 years of age at the start of employment
- Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations
- Foreign students are not eligible
This is a part-time position for 2-3 days per week, up to 17 weeks at $15/hr. The ideal start date is Monday, June 1st.
Apply by emailing a cover letter and resume in one PDF document, not exceeding 4 pages, to Erin MacDonald, Community Programs Manager, erin[at]yourleaf.org. Please include “Stewardship Assistant” in the subject line.
Applications must be submitted no later than Sunday, May 31st at 11:59 PM. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
No phone calls, please. We appreciate all applications, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
LEAF is an equal opportunity employer. We value employment equity and will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities.