Urban Tree Planter
LEAF is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the urban forest.
Our residential planting programs help residents get the right tree planted in the right place in Toronto, York Region, and Ajax. We are currently seeking an urban tree planter to help carry out large tree and shrub plantings in residential yards.
Overview of Position
- Arrive on time and assist with truck loading
- Follow site diagrams to plant trees and shrubs in pre-determined locations
- Strictly follow safety and quality guidelines for all plantings
- Keep paperwork organized, taking detailed notes when appropriate
- Represent LEAF in a professional manner
- Take photographs of newly planted trees and shrubs
- Training provided
- ability to perform heavy lifting (up to 70 lbs)
- willingness to work in inclement weather
- capable of working long days
- attention to detail
- demonstrated interest in and commitment to environmental issues
- tree planting experience in urban environments a significant asset
- diploma/degree in urban forestry, environmental studies or related field an asset
- experience working or volunteering with a not-for-profit organization an asset
- full G driver’s license with a clean driving record an asset
- Emergency First Aid + CPR certification a significant asset
- must have your own weather-appropriate work clothing and steel-toed boots
Hours of Work
This is roughly a five to seven week contract with approximately 10-30 hours per week. However, weekly planting schedules are developed to suit planting needs and weather conditions, so work may be intermittent. The successful candidate must be flexible and adaptable to these changes, which can happen last minute.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Brenna Anstett, Residential Planting Programs Manager, at brenna[at]yourleaf.org. The application deadline is 5:00pm on Friday, August 30, 2019. However; resumes will be reviewed as they are submitted so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
LEAF is an equal opportunity employer. We regret that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.