The best way to ensure that your new tree will thrive into maturity is to plant the right tree in the right place! To do this, you need to consider soil type, sunlight, available planting space and your personal yard goals. This may seem daunting, but our DIY Tree Planting Program will help you out every step of the way!
The LEAF Do-It-Yourself Tree Planting Program
LEAF arborists will provide customised recommendations to help you select the right tree(s) and their planting locations. With their help, you will learn what species are right for your space and how to properly plant and care for them. LEAF delivers healthy, high-quality trees, right to your door. All you need to do is plant!
This program is the perfect fit for those who:
- Want to get their hands dirty and have the physical ability and tools to plant: This program allows for a more hands-on experience for those who want to plant on their own! Please remember that planting a tree is a physical activity that requires digging with a shovel and some lifting
- Have a busy schedule and require flexibility: We conduct virtual consultations year-round, even during the cold winter months. Our DIY consultations are virtual, so all you need is access to a phone, computer and internet.
- Want to reduce costs: Both programs are already subsidized, but the DIY program is even more economical since it doesn’t include planting services.
- Want to plant in their front or side yard: The LEAF Full Service program is only for backyard tree planting. If you are looking to add some greenery to your front or side yard, the DIY program is the right one for you!
Easy next steps
- Explore our online video workshop to determine your soil type, sunlight conditions and space available in your yard for planting
- Submit your application online
- Book a virtual consultation with one of our certified arborists; select your tree species and planting location(s)
- Review our step-by-step instructions for proper tree planting and care to ensure your tree gets off to the best possible start
- Plant your tree(s)**
- Enjoy free post-planting tree care advice from us through seasonal email tips and answers to tree care/health questions
** Please note we only deliver trees during our spring (April-June) or fall (September-November) planting and delivery seasons.
If the DIY program sounds right for you, then visit our Homeowners page to get started!
Adriana Rezai-Stevens is the Residential Planting Programs Field Coordinator at LEAF.
LEAF offers a subsidized Backyard Tree Planting Program for private property. The program is supported by the City of Toronto, the Regional Municipality of York, the City of Markham, the Town of Newmarket, the Regional Municipality of Durham, the Town of Ajax, the City of Pickering, the City of Oshawa, the Township of Scugog, the Town of Whitby, Ontario Trillium Foundation and Ontario Power Generation.